The Importance of Uplifting | By Sara Zebovitz

I was raised a Conservative Jew at a Conservative school. The holidays were a time for family. On Sukkot and Passover, my grandparents and cousins on my mom’s side came to stay with us the whole week. My cousin stayed with me in my room, and became one of my best friends. The culture of holidays and family is energy

The secular holidays, I celebrated with my dad’s side of my family. My aunts, uncles, and cousins were Jewish and not Jewish. Some celebrated other holidays, too. Thanksgiving was as important to me as my weekly observance of Shabbat, and remains that way. Family is spirit. Every Thanksgiving, I was uplifted and refreshed. 

My first Christmas was magical. I was with family friends, and it consisted of: a huge Italian Catholic Christmas Eve dinner, followed by midnight mass, and then waking up early with excitement to see what was under the tree – and found to my surprise that Santa came for me, too. I felt so welcomed in to their home. My own sense of self was raised up

To uplift is to raise up. To boost spirit. To give energy.

My first experience with Interfaith Philadelphia was as a participant in the first Visionary Women cohort in 2016-2017. I was 27 years old, meeting women generations older than me, sharing in conversation about our faith traditions and what drives us. We shared our spirituality with one another giving each other energy, even from just a few short hours of learning each week. Visionary Women was a gift. 

I uplifted others and in turn was uplifted. This is a gift I strive to return every day as the Director of Institutional Advancement at Interfaith Philadelphia. 

Last week, we launched UPLIFT. UPLIFTERs give monthly gifts to Interfaith Philadelphia, ensuring that we can continue to provide the Philadelphia region with opportunities to uplift and be uplifted; to boost spirit and to give energy. With a simple monthly gift of any size, you can join our community of UPLIFTERs. You’ll have special access to UPLIFT programming, and you’ll get to meet others who share your values, others who want to uplift

Join UPLIFT today – share your spirit. Let your energy have a ripple effect. And, if you commit to a gift of $25/month or more by August 6th, you’ll get a welcome gift in partnership with a local business! Join me in UPLIFTING and being UPLIFTED.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Tips for Interfaith Dialogue

Offering Support, Resources and Navigating Conversations in Time of Conflict

Religious Literacy Participants Go Live with Iftar Dinner