Religious, But Not Spiritual? Discovering My Spirituality | By Madison DeLuca

Everywhere I went, I heard people tell me, “I’m spiritual, but not religious”. I struggled with this, because I always questioned “how did they know?”.

What does an awareness to one's spirituality look like? 

A little bit about me: I identify as a female Christian from small-town Northeastern Pennsylvania. I'm a college student, and I often keep my life based on a calendar, with everything scheduled and in its place. Those who know me best will say that my biggest gift - but also biggest downfall - is my emphasis on planning every aspect of my life. In my hometown, I am surrounded by nature, and I feel blessed that the area that I grew up in is isolated from the distractions of life that others may experience. 

I rely on my faith heavily and would consider myself on the “religious” side of the argument. Growing up, my home congregation was always a safe place for me to grow and learn more about myself and the world. With this support, my leadership skills and confidence could blossom, which inspired me to lean into the prospect of religious leadership. I enjoy letting my brain travel down the wormholes of theology and letting myself sit and meditate on some of the big questions and lessons of the Bible. 

I am grateful for my religious experiences, but I still sat with great curiosity about my spirituality. The people in books and movies make it seem like such a powerful experience, and I was selfishly worried about missing out. Have opportunities for me to connect with my spirituality surfaced previously? Have I given myself the space to listen?

One positive aspect of the pandemic is that I finally had the space to pause and listen. I went from someone who was running around from commitment to commitment to someone who could sit down and become more acquainted with my thoughts. This also brought to the surface some suppressed mental health issues, but I was able to sit and listen to myself, and figure out what I needed to heal.

On one of my troubling days, I found myself finally listening for something that would bring me peace, instead of running away from my trouble. I was finally able to start connecting with myself spiritually. I found an overwhelming sense of comfort in the surroundings around me, whether it was the cardinal out the window, or the music playing in the background, or in my gratitude for a friend. My spirituality reignites the curiosity, the confidence, and the love that helps me strive.  

I may be constantly feeding myself with material looking for new ways to learn, but the most positive learning experience I’ve had is when I sat down and took the time to learn about myself. 

Madison is a rising senior at Elizabethtown College and a double major in Political Science and Religious Studies. She is a member of Interfaith Philadelphia's summer intern team.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Tips for Interfaith Dialogue

Offering Support, Resources and Navigating Conversations in Time of Conflict

Religious Literacy Participants Go Live with Iftar Dinner