For the Avins/Solomons, Cultivating Community is a Family Affair

 

The Avins/Solomon family at an Interfaith Philadelphia program over a decade ago

We are excited to highlight a family that has been in the Interfaith Philadelphia circle since the beginning. The Avins/Solomon family got involved in Walking the Walk Youth Initiative’s inaugural year and has become a core part of our circle ever since. Through Walking the Walk, internships, thought partnerships, and as overall friends, we are so grateful for Carol, Ray, Claire, and Jess. We asked the whole family some questions, and are excited to share their responses with you. 

How has interfaith work impacted your lives?

Claire: My participation in Walking the Walk shaped much of my work, and my relationships, in college and beyond. I was introduced to the IFYC (Interfaith Youth Corps, now Interfaith America) through Walking the Walk, and my IFYC Fellowship in college enabled me to bring vital programming to campus while also introducing me to a cohort of folks who became thought leaders and field builders. I have worked in the Jewish non-profit world for much of my professional life, and know that the building blocks of Walking the Walk deeply impacted how I learned to think about, talk about, and integrate my practice and understanding of religion and spirituality into my work.


Jess: Going from a public school to a Jewish school was a challenge for me, as I was used to being around many religions. I was grateful for my work with Interfaith Philadelphia, as I was able to lean on what I had learned and share more with my classmates. Interfaith work also impacted my life by leading me to my current job. Working at a synagogue has been very rewarding, especially one that has wonderful partnerships with other faith institutions. I still apply the skills and resources I learned in Walking the Walk in my day-to-day.

What motivates you to give to Interfaith Philadelphia?

Claire: Cultivating community outside of one’s traditional spaces, particularly as a young person, is the most important thing we can do, particularly in our current climate. Interfaith Philadelphia creates communities within communities, in familiar and in unfamiliar spaces.

Jess: It is so transformative to have a space to meet other young people in Philadelphia around a shared passion for justice and conversation. I also interned with Interfaith Philadelphia and it was a joy to see the passion the staff and Board have for this work. Truly every dollar makes a difference and can have an impact on every Philadelphian.

Carol & Ray: We are motivated to give to Interfaith Philadelphia because we believe in today’s America; developing an understanding of different faith communities is essential to maintaining a vibrant pluralistic democratic society. Interfaith Philadelphia has been an effective catalyst for bringing people together and encouraging dialogue that otherwise would not occur. We saw what that did for our daughters and we want to do what we are able to do to help provide that opportunity to others.

What do you wish others knew about Interfaith Philadelphia and our work?

Claire: I anticipate that others have much to learn about how to “walk the walk” - and “talk the talk” - from current and former Interfaith Philadelphia participants!

Jess: No matter what age or stage of life you are in, there is always something new to learn. Get involved in whatever capacity works for you. You can visit a house of worship, attend a Leadership Institute event, or meet with others in your neighborhood. Any way you want to get involved, they can make it happen.

Click here to support our work



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Offering Support, Resources and Navigating Conversations in Time of Conflict

10 Tips for Interfaith Dialogue

Walking the Walk Memories